National Institute of Environmental Health, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention was established in May 2002 based on former Institute of Environmental Health and Engineering and Institute of Environmental Health Monitoring,Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine. NIEH is a national professional institution for environmental health and related product safety.It also provides the national technical guidance.NIEH locates at PanjiayuanNanli 7, Chaoyang District partly and at Nanwei Road 29, Xicheng District partly. It has 7 administrative departments and 12 technical departmentsandmore than 260 staffs.More than 60 of them are senior titled researchers. A large number of young scientists with doctoral and master's degree and overseas education or work experience, are the backbone in the institute.The institute also has many high quality apparatuses, such as ICP-MS, LC-MS, LC-MSMS, GC-MS, MALDI-TOF-MS, etc. At present, the institute is reforming and rebuilding advanced laboratories of environmental chemistry, environmental toxicology and environmental microbiologyfollowing the developing requirement.
NIEH has a strong strength in the research areasof indoor air quality, drinking water quality, environmentalchemical pollutants, environmental microbiology, electromagnetic radiation and health effects. NIEH currently is taking on many research projects supported by Ministry of Science Technology, National Science Fund, Ministry of Education, etc. It is national agency of detection and arbitration for safety assessment of health related products, such as cosmetics, water related products, disinfection products, electromagnetic radiation products, construction materials, paints, air cleaning products, etc.
The responsibilities of NIEH are as follows:
1. To provide scientific evidences and technological support for formulating related laws, rules, regulations and hygienic standards, judicial administration on environmental health and related product safety.Assessing the effect of the implementation and providing consultative service for the government for making decision on environmental health.
2. To monitor and investigate environmental factors related to human health impact and environmental related diseases, so as to propose preventive strategies and control methods and to assess the implementing effect of the preventive and control program, and to take charge of technical guidance and instruction on environmental health for provincial CDCs.
3. To survey health hazard due to environmental pollution breakout, so as to provide technical support for environmental health emergency.
4. To monitor and assess hygienically environmental health including air, water, soil, solid wastes and public places, and to assess hygienically new-, re- and continued constructions projects.
5. To monitor, detect, assess and arbitrate health related products, including cosmetics, drinking water and water related products, disinfecting products, construction materials, paints, household chemical products, health care products, electromagnetic radiation products, air cleaning products, etc.
6. To provide technical support and guidance and quality control for provincial environmental health monitoring and health related product detection. To control, check and assess the quality of laboratory test and to provide standard samples. To formulate and distribute improved standard methods for health related product detection. To examine the function of apparatus and equipment in use, and to train and check professional technicians.
7. To take charge of technical examination and hygienic quality detection, determination and arbitration of health related product before approval, as a national monitoring institution for health related product authorized by the Ministry of Health.
8. To assess the environmental health safety of new technique and new product before they are putted into the market, so as to provide scientific evidences and technical support for the government to make decision.
10. To collect and release concerned environmental health information, preventive care knowledge, and to participate in community-based environmental health promotion work.
11. To develop international communication and cooperation, so as to introduce new technologies and new methodologies.
12. To implement other assignments from the superior.